Designer of the 2nd GRAFTON BRIDGE
Alfred Almena Wrigg (1852) CITY ENGINEER
Born in Preston, Lancashire Alfred Wrigg arrived in New Zealand with his father in the 1864 on the Royal Stuart.
His father, Henry Wrigg was chief draughtsman for the Thames Goldfields, and also worked for the New Zealand Public Works Department including the Marine and Railways Departments.
Alfred Wrigg worked in the office of his father for several years.
In 1872 he joined the Government Service, often working in the area of bridge design.
In 1882 he worked for a number of private firms before joining the Auckland City Council as assistant in the Engineer’s Department.
In 1899 he was made the City Engineer and Building Surveyor for the Auckland City Council, replacing William Anderson.
In 1902 he produced a important Report on the Drainage system of Auckland City.
His 1904 report on the state of the Cemetery Gully Bridge revealed that his department had been very lax in maintaining that structure.
The safety status of the bridge was prossibly one of the reasons he was replaced by Walter Arthur Bush as City Engineer in 1906.
Wrigg was a Freemason being a member of Civil Service Lodge, 1521, E.C.
He married a daughter of Captain Newby, and had two daughters. In the 1890s they lived in Devonport in a house called Palmcourt, later the Wriggs lived on Remuera Road.
Alfred’s son Harry Wrigg was an artist; works by him are in the collection of the Auckland Art Gallery.