Merchant & Community Leader
Born in London, the third son of Nathan Lion Nathan and his wife, Sarah Nathan. Nathan arrived in New Zealand in 1840 via Sydney.
He established a store in Kororareka [Russell] then moved on to Auckland when the Capital was established there.
David Nathan traded in Kauri Gum and Tea and operated a Bond Store. A founder member of the Auckland Chamber of Commerce, established in 1856, and president in 1868.
A Trustee of the Auckland Savings Bank from 1864 to 1885 and vice president from 1878 to 1882, he was a commissioner for the Port of Auckland and served on the City Council in 1854–55. Nathan served four terms as president of the Auckland Hebrew Congregation, between 1853 and 1883, and in 1884 laid the foundation stone of the synagogue on the corner of Princes and Bowen streets. Following his wife Rosetta’s death in 1864, Nathan married in 1871 Edith Barrow Montefiore, the daughter of J. B. Montefiore, a merchant. They had no children. The Nathan’s inclined slab tombs stand in the centre of the Jewish sector.