The first vicar of St Paul’s Anglican Church in Emily Place, which was second only to St Mary’s Parnell, the Pro-Cathedral. As Colonial Chaplain he ministered to the imperial troops stationed in New Zealand, hospital patients and prisoners. Churton’s grave is adjacent to Governor Hobson’s grave ‘the death of Mr. Churton cannot be regarded as less than a calamity.’ New Zealander newspaper Although buried in the Symonds Street Cemetery a Memorial, paid for by public subscription, was erected to Churton next to St Paul’s Church
Churton’s memorial was retained when the church was demolished and re-erected in 1909 after the area had been made into a public park. In the rededication ceremony in 1909 the Mayor Arthur Myers noted that “it must surely have been the first public monument erected to an Aucklander by his fellow citizens”.